Tuesday, September 15, 2009

KaBoom



top pic) i'm officially a MUSC volunteer. bottom pic) farmer's market at marion square in charleston

I'm on my third week here in the Navy Yard.  So far so good I must say.  Aside from a few kinks in the road i.e. my lawn growing well over knee length and constant spider invasions I'm feeling quite comfortable on Manley Avenue.  I should probably bite my tongue but I feel compelled to admit that sometimes I'd prefer having to deal with roaches and rats like I did at my old house.  But I guess it's a compromise I have to accept and appreciate if I'm going to live in a one story house in a tree shaded neighborhood with central air and plenty of parking!  But I digress...  To compensate for these obstacles, my house is slowly coming together, my AC has recently been fixed, I'm getting to know the neighborhood a little better, my jumps of fright have declined to an all time low (maybe only 2 feet high rather than 5) after hearing strange noises at night, and my living allowance plus moving reimbursement were deposited into my bank account $$ cha ching $$.  
This past weekend a few friends (Ashley, Erin, and Michelle) and I went to visit our other friend Becky.  She and her husband live in a beautifully decorated and perfectly located house on the Isle of Palms.  We relaxed on the beach while talking and watching a million adorable puppies trot by.  The sunshiny scenery and close proximity to the beach almost made it too difficult to return back to Spanish Mossy Manley Avenue.  But with some group effort we all made it back to our little neighborhood for a fun filled night of card games and beer.  I have to say, it's been extremely nice having weekends (as opposed to working).  I highly recommend having them ;)
My work week in general hasn't really changed a whole lot.  I'm still spending a portion of the week at Noisette and the other portion at MUSC.  HOWEVER, as you can see I'm finally an official volunteer at MUSC.  It took a lot of running back and forth on campus plus a Tuberculosis screening shot here and there but I now have clearance to act (kind of) important.  There are also a lot community activities coming up to look forward to.  For example, I'll be attending a "three day celebration of lowcountry cuisine" called "Taste of Charleston" at Boone Hall Plantation next month.  In the same week I'll also be going on a three day VISTA retreat in western? northern? SC.  A few interesting things that I've already done include a poverty simulation hosted by East Cooper Community Outreach (moultrienews.com/news/ECCO-to-hold-poverty-simulation-event-2009-09-09T06-24-54).  It was really interesting and surprisingly fun?  Kind of a potentially non pc way of describing it I suppose.  It was very eye-opening...is that better?  But basically it was a role playing event which was supposed to simulate living in poverty.  Another really cool thing I attended was a community planning of a sustainable KaBoom playground (kaboom.org).  KaBoom is a playground building inspiring non-profit.  They recently chose a neighborhood in N. Charleston to build their FIRST green and sustainable playground.  With the help of sponsors and volunteers KaBoom designs and builds amazing playgrounds in neighborhoods all around the country.  I should also mention that KaBoom uses playground ideas created by the children living in that community (which was the most fun part of attending the meeting).  I'm looking forward to "build day."  I'll make sure to post some pics...
All in all I'm doing well down here in SC though I do miss everyone in MD and NJ!  I hope you're all doing well and please come visit me whenever you feel the need for warmth!  I'm not opposed to sharing especially since there's enough to go around.


No comments:

Post a Comment